THE RACE REVIEW –Juan Pablo Montoya
No. 2 Verizon Team Penske Dallara/Chevrolet
· Montoya qualified the No. 2 Verizon Team Penske Dallara/Chevrolet in the 16th position after posting a lap of 1:08:3649 seconds during Saturday afternoon qualifying.
· The strategy for the former series champion called for him to start the race on the softer “red” Firestone tires. He quickly made up positions at the start with the softer compound as the tires provided more grip.
· After a strong standing start, Montoya made up five positions in the first eight laps of the race.
· Montoya maneuvered the No. 2 Verizon Chevy inside the top 10 by lap 21, turning lap times comparable to the race leaders.
· An untimely caution caught the No. 2 team out as Montoya was about to pit when the yellow flag was displayed on lap 27 and pit lane was closed, per INDYCAR rules. Montoya had to pit for fuel and he dropped to the back of the field as the Colombian racer took the restart from 20th place.
· Montoya continued to show patience as he worked his way back up the running order and after a strong pit stop on lap 54, he and the Verizon team put themselves in position for a solid finish.
· After carefully avoiding a multi-car incident involving the race leaders at lap 56, Montoya was scored in the sixth position as the race resumed.
· Montoya entered the top five at lap 65 and he went on to cross the finish line in the fourth position for his second top-five finish in three career races on the Long Beach street circuit.
· The result marked Montoya’s best finish since he returned to IndyCar racing for the first time since 2000. He is now ranked eighth in the series standings after two events in 2014.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
ON HIS FOURTH-PLACE FINISH SUNDAY ON THE STREETS OF LONG BEACH
“That was an interesting race. What an amazing team and I really have to thank Verizon and Chevy. I could’ve been a little more aggressive at the end but I really wanted to make sure we didn’t get in any trouble and got a decent finish in the Verizon car. We had some close calls out there but we kept pushing and to come out of Long Beach with a top-five finish is pretty good.” – Juan Pablo Montoya
The No. 2 Verizon Team Penske Dallara/Chevrolet
Driver: Juan Pablo Montoya
Starting Position: 16
Finish Position: 4
Driver’s Points Position: 8