No. 6 Acura ARX-05 DPi – Dane Cameron/Juan Pablo Montoya/Simon Pagenaud
- Start: 3rd
- Overall Finish: 8th
- Class Finish: 6th
- Status: Running
- Laps Completed: 576/593Read more for full race report
- Juan Pablo Montoya qualified the No. 6 Acura ARX-05 Prototype in the third position for the 2019 Rolex 24 at Daytona, narrowly missing out on becoming the third driver to surpass the former track record during the session.
- After a strong opening stint following the 2:35 pm start on Saturday, Montoya eventually moved into the lead just 36 minutes into the 24-hour race. The No. 6 Acura would be a fixture at the front of the field for the first half of the event.
- Dane Cameron, the 2016 IMSA WeatherTech Prototype Champion, followed Montoya behind the wheel of the No. 6 and would have one of the strongest races of any driver in the field. He would help the No. 6 Acura lead a total of 119 laps on the day.
- Once again, Simon Pagenaud was tabbed as the endurance driver for the No. 6 team. The former IMSA and INDYCAR Champion followed Cameron and sat behind the wheel for most of the night laps and kept the Acura machine up front despite briefly losing a few spots after running off course in the infield section.
- Bad luck would bite Pagenaud again just before the 11-hour mark as he was called down pit road for a new front wing as the ride quality on the No. 6 Acura had deteriorated and damaged the splitter. Again, the combination of drivers and team were strong enough to battle back.
- With the car repaired and the handling improved, it appeared the No. 6 team made its move back to the front of the field where it appeared to the a four-horse race between them, their No. 7 Acura teammates, and the No. 10 and 31 entries.
- However, the final straw for the team broke just past the 19-hour mark when Pagenaud pulled the Acura Prototype into the garage for a long look under the engine cover, which uncovered a mechanical issue that dropped them 17 laps behind the leaders.
- After a lengthy repair, the determined team was able to return to the track where they finished in the ninth overall position and sixth in the Daytona Prototype International class.
- The No. 6 team is tied for third with their No. 7 Acura teammates in the Michelin Endurance Cup standings, three points behind the leaders. The next endurance race is March 16 at Sebring (Fla.) International Raceway.