No. 6 Acura ARX-05 DPi – Dane Cameron/Juan Pablo Montoya
Start: 3rd Overall Finish: 3rd Class Finish: 3rd Status: Running Laps Completed: 73/73
- The No. 6 Acura ARX-05 DPi team bounced back from a disappointing start to the 2019 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season to score a third-place finish in the BUBBA burger Sports Car Grand Prix at Long Beach on Saturday afternoon.
- On Friday afternoon, 2018 Long Beach pole winner, Juan Pablo Montoya, qualified the Acura in the third position.
- Montoya narrowly avoided a costly accident early in the event when the No. 55 Mazda spun just in front of his Acura, but Montoya was able to weather the chaos and settle into the fourth position
- Dane Cameron took over the driving duties with one hour left in the 100-minute event and quickly began turning some of the quickest laps on the circuit.
- With 38 minutes remaining, strategist Jon Bouslog called Cameron to pit road for the final time. Upon returning to the track, Cameron followed in the tire tracks of his teammate, Ricky Taylor, as both cars hunted down the leader.
- Unfortunately, Cameron was held up by lapped traffic from the GTLM class and lost ground to Taylor and the eventual race winner, Felipe Albuquerque, to finish the race in the third position.
- The No. 6 team is now fifth in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship DPi standings, 15 points out of the lead.
- The IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Series will next visit the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course on May 5 where Acura team Penske scored a 1-2 finish in 2018.
“It’s nice to finish third and get a double podium for Acura Team Penske. But, we’re a little bit disappointed at the same time because of a couple of little mistakes that perhaps kept us from challenging for the win. We’ll definitely take a podium and look forward to Mid-Ohio, where we ran very strong last year. So pretty excited to get back there, at another Acura-sponsored race.” – Dane Cameron