“It was a decent start to my second run in the Verizon IndyCar Series. We have to get a little better on the setups and that will come as we work more together. I think we were just a little too aggressive today and we just burned the rear tires off the No. 2 Verizon Chevrolet. We passed some cars today and really learned a lot about these cars. I didn’t think our pace was that bad, but it’s hard when you start from that far back in the field.” – Juan Pablo Montoya
JPM St Petersburg Race review
- Competing in his first Verizon IndyCar Series race since the 2000 season, Montoya qualified the No. 2 Verizon Team Penske Dallara/Chevrolet in the 18th position.
- The former IndyCar, Formula 1 and NASCAR race winner made his first start for Team Penske and his first career start on the St. Petersburg street circuit Sunday.
- Running for the first time on the softer “red” Firestone tires, Montoya made up ground early as he improved three positions by lap 14.
- Montoya brought the No. 2 Verizon Chevrolet down pit road just one lap later in an effort to improve his track position even further.
- Keeping solid pace with the race leaders, Montoya posted his fastest lap of the race on lap 18. The early pit strategy also helped him to race his way into the top 10 at lap 28.
- As the race stayed under the green flag for the first 75 laps of the 110-lap race, Montoya began to lose rear grip on his machine, which briefly resulted in the loss of one lap. He was able to take a “wave around” to get back to lead-lap racing under the lap 76 caution period.
- Over the remaining laps of the race, Montoya was able to keep the No. 2 Verizon Chevy inside the top 15 cars, as he took the checkered flag in the 15th position. Read More
Dear Fans…March has arrived and we are a few weeks away of from the first race!!!
I am excited with this new venture and want to invite all of you to be part of it.
- Let me know what’s on your mind: On a weekly basis, I will be look at all the questions you guys sent me and answer a couple of them with a video. Those that are not answered by video I will do my best to write back.
- True Fan Experience: During race weekend, we will pick a Montoya Fan that is wearing the Montoya/Team Penske #2 gear to be part of a behind the scene tour with me, Juan Pablo Montoya. If chosen and if you choose to join in the behind the scenes tour, you will be required to sign legal documents releasing liability.
A mis fans…Marzo finalmente ha llegado y estamos a unas semanas de la primera carrera.
Estoy emocionado con esta nueva etapa y quiero invitar a todos uds a ser parte .
- Déjeme saber que esta en sus mentes: Semanalmente, estaré leyendo las preguntas que me Mandan y contestare un par a través de videos. Las que no conteste en video, hare mi mejor esfuerzo para escribir devuelta.
- La experiencia del verdadero fan: Durante el fin de semana de Carrera, escogeremos un Fan mío que este usando algo de Montoya/Team Penske #2 para que sea parte de un detrás de escenas conmigo, Juan Pablo Montoya. Si son escogidos y deciden participar del tour, se les requerirá firma documento de exención de responsabilidad.
TRANSCRIPT: INDYCAR Media Day – Juan Pablo Montoya
Juan, going through some testing already, your thoughts?
JUAN PABLO MONTOYA: I’m really excited. I mean, I feel like I’m not where I want to be yet with the car. I feel we have come a long way.
It’s weird. Sometimes we’re really good, some we’re average. The first Sebring test was horrible. I feel like Sonoma was pretty good. I was really happy.
It’s hard because the new tires are different than the ones I’ve been used to the last three years. I’m starting to get it, but the problem is I don’t get to put it all together.