Track: Daytona International Speedway
Race: Rolex 24 at DaytonaDate: January 27-28, 2018
No. 6 Acura ARX-05 DPi – Dane Cameron/Juan Pablo Montoya/Simon Pagenaud
Start: 10th Overall Finish: 10th Class Finish: 10th
Status: RunningLaps Completed: 793/808
– The famed No. 6 made its return to sports car racing at Team Penske as Dane Cameron, Juan Pablo Montoya and Simon Pagenaud teamed to compete in the No. 6 Acura ARX-05 in this weekend’s 56th running of Rolex 24 at Daytona.
– Dane Cameron, the 2016 IMSA WeatherTech Prototype Champion, qualified the ARX-05 in the 10th position on Thursday and he began the race when the green flag waved at 2:40 pm ET on Saturday afternoon.
– The trio quickly began to progress the No. 6 forward and by the sixth hour of the race they were in the fifth position with Montoya and Pagenaud following Cameron, respectively, behind the wheel.
– As the race crossed the halfway point with Cameron as the pilot, the No. 6 Acura team assumed the lead for the first time during the race.
– Just prior to 4 am the No. 6 car lost one of its headlamps, leading the team to diagnose the problem as an alternator malfunction. Cameron brought the car to the garage to change the part and, as a result, the team returned to the track 24 laps down to the race leaders.
– Despite the setback the team showed no quit as they were determined to finish in the top 10 in the overall standings, which they accomplished by turning some of the fastest laps over the final 10 hours of the race.
– The No. 6 team is tied for third with their No. 7 Acura teammates in the Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup standings, four points behind the leaders. The next endurance race is March 17 at Sebring (Fla.) International Raceway.
“It was really enjoyable to get that first start for Roger Penske and Acura Team Penske, but it was also a little disappointing. We had great pace the entire race. We had one issue with the alternator and that was it. It feels like one potentially got away from us here and it would have been nice to have been in a fight for the win at the end. It was still not a bad way to start off the year. We know we have a strong Acura ARX-05 and we are gearing up to make a run at the championship. While one race may have gotten away we still have a lot of ‘big ticket’ races to win this year, along with the championship.”